How to replace garage door panels? You know that replacing your garage door panels is important, but you’re not sure how to do it. Replacing your garage door panels can be a big job and you don’t want to make any mistakes. The last thing you need is for the new panels to get damaged or worse yet, fall off of the track while driving down the road.
If you are considering replacing your garage door panels, this article will help guide you through the process of removing and installing new panels on your own. This is a great way to save money since it can cost more for a professional garage door repair specialist to come out and do the job.
This article will show you step-by-step instructions on how to replace your garage door panels with ease and confidence. We’ll also give some tips on what tools are needed and where they can be found in order to save time when doing this project yourself.
Signs To Replace Garage Door Panels
Here are a few signs that it’s time to replace your garage door panels.
1. You notice that there are dents on the top of the door. It is common for this to happen over time as you use your doors, but if you notice that they’re getting deeper and more frequent, then it might be time to consider replacing them.
2. If you’ve recently installed new insulation in your basement or attic, then there may be some gaps between the panels which means that the edges of the panels are no longer insulated which may cause them to warp or break more easily. There’s no specific rule for how long they will last before needing to be replaced but you should keep an eye out for these tell-tale signs.
3. You’ve recently purchased a new home and noticed that the garage door panels are warped. Chances are, they were like this when you purchased the house but it’s worth checking before you need to replace them.
This can be caused by moisture or lack of insulation in your garage which means that the metal may be trying to expand but can’t due to it being blocked. You can combat this by adding insulation or finding a way to get rid of the moisture in the garage quickly.
4. Your door is no longer secure enough. Each door has an industry standard for how much force it should have when you are trying to break through it which means that if your door is too weak, then you need to replace it.
This is because your door should be able to support the weight of a vehicle going through it before giving in which means that repeatedly trying to break into your garage will easily break the panels.
5. Your door no longer opens or closes properly. While there are other reasons why this may happen, such as a broken spring, it usually comes down to the panels not being able to work with each other.
For example, if one panel is warped, then it will catch on another panel which will cause your door to become stuck. If you are having any problems making your garage door open or close properly, then this is likely the reason why and you should consider a replacement.
6. You feel that your home is no longer safe. Each door should be able to support the weight of a vehicle going through it and if this is not happening, then you don’t want to risk damaging your garage or worse, someone getting hurt due to an accident such as a car crashing into the panels. For this reason, it is recommended that you replace the panels as soon as possible.
7. The color of your garage door doesn’t match the rest of your home. While you don’t necessarily need to change the color, if there’s a chance that someone could mistake your house for being abandoned because of your mismatched garage door, then it may be worth changing the color of your door to make it blend in better with your home.
8. Your panels are getting old and rusty. This may not necessarily mean that you need to replace them immediately but if they’re beyond repairing or if there’s a chance they could break and damage the rest of your garage door, then this is something you’ll want to do sooner rather than later.
9. You’re unsure of how to fix or repair your panels anymore. While there are many reasons that you may not be able to resolve the problem, it usually comes down to being unable, or unwilling, to spend more time and money trying to repair them when you could instead purchase new panels which will save you time and money.
10. You’re considering painting your garage door, then you need to replace the panels first because if you paint over them, they will not be able to breathe which means that moisture could become trapped underneath the paint which could cause rusting which would mean that your new paint job was for nothing.
How To Replace Garage Door Panels?
Measuring for New Panels
How To Replace Garage Door Panels? The first step in panel replacement is measuring the existing panels. Measuring ensures the new panels will fit perfectly, and prevent damage to the surrounding structure or building. A helper may be required, as two people are needed to hold the tape measure at both ends.
In order to obtain an accurate measurement, one end of the tape measure should be held in the center of the panel while the other end is extended to the exact point where the top and bottom tracks meet. The distance between these two points will give you an accurate measurement of your new garage door panels.
Purchasing New Panels
Once you have obtained measurements, it’s time to get your new panels. Take the measurements to your local home improvement store and ask a sales associate for assistance.
Selecting new garage door panels can be an overwhelming experience, as there are many types of materials, colors, and designs available. In most cases, you will select a panel design that is similar to your previous panels’ design. New garage door panels are available for purchase at all home improvement stores.
Remove Old Panels
Before removing the existing panels, you will need to shut off the power to the garage door opener. This is done by unplugging or turning off the circuit breaker. Once this has been completed, remove all fasteners from the current panels and place them aside in order to use them for the installation of the new panels.
To remove the old panels, first shut off power to the garage door opener by unplugging or turning off the circuit breaker. Next, remove all fasteners from the current panels and place them aside so they can be used for the installation of new panels.
Now you will need to either undo the bolts holding the springs in place by using a wrench or unscrewing them by hand and placing them on one side. The additional panel should now be able to be removed with ease.
Install New Panels
Next, install the new panels. Line up the new panels with the track and then attach them using the fasteners that were removed from the old panels. Next, place springs on each end of the new panels.
It’s important to note that there should be a small gap between the top of the spring and one side of your panel so as to allow for easy opening and closing.
Once this has been completed, you can now close up any gaps in your garage door by either adding a plywood board or a retaining frame. This is also a good time to replace any weather stripping or sealant that may have been damaged during installation.
To install the new panels, begin by aligning them into position. You will then need to secure the bottom of the panel with a fastener before installing the top section. The remaining fasteners should be installed from left to right. Do not completely tighten all fasteners until you have tested the operation of your garage door.
With installation, your new garage door panels will be attached the same way as the old panels were. Match up each fastener hole with its corresponding fixture on the surrounding frame or building.
Be sure to wear proper protection such as eye and hand protection before installation. After all, panels are attached, plug in the garage door opener’s power cord, and press the button to raise the door halfway.
Check the tracks to ensure the new panels are even with one another, then proceed with pressing the panel close button on your garage door opener remote or control box until the door is fully opened or closed. If the panels are even, power the door back down and reattach your old panel fasteners.
If the new panels require fine-tuning in order to be flush with one another, press up or down on the panel at either end until it is perfectly level. When the levels are equal with one another, apply pressure between both ends of each panel until the fasteners have been secured into place.
Before finishing up, you may want to add a few items to help protect your new panels from becoming damaged. Some people add rubber molding along the bottom or top edge of each panel for protection against bumps and abrasions.
You can also purchase caps that will replace the top-end caps of your garage door panels, creating a smooth surface that is more durable. Once you have decided on all panel design and protection options, find an end cap for each panel’s top end.
Find similar-sized caps to cover the remaining exposed ends of the new panels. Your new garage door panels are now ready to provide protection and style for your garage, carport, or outbuilding.
Your new garage door panels should provide you with years of trouble-free service. Take time to replace your old panels at least once every decade for maximum performance and safety. Just remember, your garage door is one of the most important parts of your home; make sure it looks great by using our guide!
Things To Keep In Mind When Replacing Your Garage Door Panels
How To Replace Garage Door Panels? A garage door is one of the most important features of your home. Doors are essential for security reasons, so you should always invest in high-quality materials.
The panels are an especially critical part of the door because they are what keep out the elements. Today, our focus is on repairing panels that have been damaged or are old. We’ll explain the simplest way to replace your garage door panels without hiring any professionals for assistance!
1. You should always inspect your garage door panels before deciding whether or not to replace them. Read here for tips on how to know when your garage door is in need of replacement. If you are sure that the problem with your garage is the panels themselves, it’s time you start shopping around at reputable locations like Garage Door Solutions in Kennesaw, GA.
2. Remember to measure the overall dimensions of your door before you head out to purchase new panels. If you’re having a difficult time determining the size, don’t hesitate to ask for help at your local home improvement store! You can always print out a measuring tape online using Google’s free tools.
3. It’s important that you read through the installation instructions before purchasing any new panels. You don’t want to assume that you can manage the job on your own only to be disappointed when you’re struggling to install them properly.
4. If possible, try to find a repair kit for your garage door panels rather than an entirely new product. This can save you a great deal of money because you won’t have to purchase any new tools.
Replacing panels requires little training and even less effort on your part. That said, we recommend that the job only be done by someone who has experience using power tools properly. The process should take about an hour or two to complete completely.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you think another person might be able to make the process go faster. A garage door is best replaced by two people because it’s very heavy. If you’re planning on tackling this job alone, practice lifting weights before you begin working on the doors!
6. Never throw away your old panels even if they’re damaged beyond repair. If you attempt to install the new panel without removing the old one, you run the risk of having it torn up in the process.
7. Don’t rush through the installation process! If you move too quickly, you will make a mistake and end up having to replace the whole door. Try your best not to cut corners by completing this job as slowly as possible.
8. Make sure that you’re always cautious around power tools! The danger of injury should never be taken lightly because it’s very easy to slip up and make a mistake.
9. You should always consider the material that your garage door panels are made from before you purchase replacements. In most cases, fiberglass is the best choice for those who have an average budget to work with because it’s affordable and incredibly durable.
Aluminum offers incredible strength as well but it’s also more expensive. Steel is the most common material because of how affordable it is to purchase in bulk.
Fiberglass can be used in virtually any climate, so you should consider this if you live somewhere that experiences drastic weather changes often. It has an average lifespan and doesn’t require much upkeep at all to maintain.
Aluminum is very reflective, so it’s best used on doors that receive little exposure to sunlight. Even though it’s incredibly strong, aluminum doesn’t offer the same level of protection as steel does. If you’re low on cash and want a more affordable option, this is likely your best choice.
Steel is easily the most durable material that you can use to build a garage door. It’s also surprisingly affordable, so it’s the best choice for those who are working with a limited budget. Be sure to check out Garage Door Solutions if you need replacement panels!
10. If your garage door is incredibly rusted or damaged, don’t attempt to replace the panels yourself. Instead, you should have a professional take care of this problem in order to avoid causing further problems with your door. Garage Door Repair San Diego
11. Check to ensure that your locks are working properly before you close your garage door for the last time when the installation process has finished being completed. If it won’t stay closed, there’s a good chance that it will get damaged and require even more repairs!
12. Remember to replace your garage door opener with a model that has the same horsepower rating as the one you’re replacing so everything will run smoothly again after installation is complete. This usually takes about an hour or two, depending on whether or not you have help from another person. The process should go as planned as long as you keep your calm and take your time.
Which garage door panels are the easiest to replace?
Most steel or aluminum garage door panels are easy to replace. The only ones that might be difficult are custom-made garage door panels. However, even these can be replaced with ease if you take your time and follow all the instructions carefully.
Do I need to remove the old panels?
No, although this is recommended. Replacing the existing panels with the new ones does require you to employ some tools and disassemble some parts of your garage door system.
You won’t need to take them off completely though; it’s enough if you can disconnect them from where they are attached at their hinges on the door itself. It’s always better to take things apart than leave them in place (since no one can move anything out of necessity once it has snapped into position).
A diamond drill bit will make removing screws easy, without any risk of cracking or damaging either plastic or wood panels by mistake. Even if there are visible screw heads, simply use pliers to twist and loosen each one before removing (don’t bother unscrewing them since this might damage the screws by breaking their prongs).
How do I prepare for installation?
Preparing for installation might require you to plan ahead in some ways. Firstly, make sure that your new panels are the correct size and weight, so that they can be slid into place without any difficulties.
You’ll also need to check that there’s enough clearance between the old panel and the floor or door of the garage, just in case you need to cut off any excess length.
You’ll also want to employ some tools to help with the installation process: these include a drill/driver, screwdriver (with Phillips’s head), Philips screw bits, socket wrench, angle grinder, or hacksaw.
How much force is required when cutting the new panel?
When cutting the new panel, you will need to use enough force to ensure that the new panel slides into place easily.
You should also be careful not to go too fast or use too much pressure when cutting the panels with a saw, otherwise, you might end up damaging them.
Where can I find replacement garage door panels?
You can find replacement garage door panels in DIY and hardware stores. You may also be able to order them from specialist installation companies, but these might charge a lot more because of the cost of express international delivery or because they have special tools which you don’t have at home.
In any case, you can browse through numerous stores online and compare prices to find the best deals.
Can I buy extra panels for future repairs?
Yes, if your home has a steel or aluminum garage door you can order replacement panels that will fit in with the design of the rest of the system. Just make sure that you know what brand and model of garage door you have so that the new panels will fit properly.
If your garage has a solid wood or plastic panel, don’t bother with replacement panels since these are unlikely to be visible. This is because they can usually only be accessed by removing other parts of the system, while most repairs are likely to take place on the door itself where the new panels should be used.
Replacing garage door panels is a relatively easy project that just about anyone can do. The trickiest part of the job may be finding the right size and type for your particular model, but this will depend on what you have now.
Checking out our guide to how much it costs to replace doors should give you an idea of installing new panels yourself or hiring professionals is worth the time and money cost. We hope you will learn how to replace garage door panels after reading our article in 2021.