Hedge trimmers transform our outdoors into admirable spaces. In the following write-up, we review some of the recommended brands that make that gardener enjoy using. These are the best gas hedge trimmers.
What are Hedge Trimmers?
Hedge trimmers are tools specifically designed to prune, cut or trim hedges, bushes, or even solitary plants, mostly flowers. These devices are available in different designs in manual, as well as, powered models. The manual trimmers are environmentally friendly and take a little breaking of sweat – which is not a bad thing.
Hedge clippers or shears do not need anything to operate except your energy. However, they are quite a labor intensive and may take a lot of your precious time. And another thing, these tools are not too safe especially if you are not accustomed to using them – you can hurt your hands if they malfunction or are used improperly. There are motorized options that are easier to use.
They allow hedge trimming to be faster and more efficient. Powered versions come with a safety feature that you need both hands on the handles for them to work. There are basically two versions of motorized trimmers – the gas and the electric powered. The gas trimmers have more power but are a little heavy. The electrical versions tend to be lighter and produce minimal noise. They are also less polluting in comparison to their gas counterparts.
However, they demonstrate less power and may need a cord to an electrical outlet – unless they are battery-powered. There are also tractor-mounted trimmers – quite the heavy-duty versions. These trimmers incorporate a hydraulic boom and a finger-bar mower-like mechanism. However, these tractor versions are not that common.
The Factors to Consider when Choosing a Hedge Trimmer
the motorized variety is a necessary evil especially when it comes to gardeners. Regardless, you need something that will suit your needs appropriately. Some of us love the manual effort that goes into a gardening task and would instead use the shear and other similar tools. The majority of us, though, would prefer using a trimmer rather than poking around all day. What matters is convenience – what feels convenient for you.
the best trimmer will work on bushes, shrubs, privet hedges, foliage, and branches among others. With a quality hedge trimmer, you can quickly get creative and play around with different designs on your garden landscape.
Type of Vegetation and Physical Strength
there are different kinds of vegetation we can have in our yard. That coupled with our physical strength should go into determining the type of trimmer you need. The gas-powered varieties are best-suited for extensive areas and heavy-duty tasks. They demonstrate considerable power but are quite heavy. And then there are the electrical-powered trimmers. Their power is relatively good – not as good as the gas-powered machines – and do not demand a lot from you.
They are environmentally clean and easier to use. However, they are limitations such as the cord and weather – you cannot use them when it is raining. Battery-powered trimmers are convenient and do not require a lot of your strength. Their weight is in between electric trimmers and gas-powered trimmers. Their power is not so much, and you should use them for light tasks.
trimmers make use of sharp metal teeth to slice away at leaves and shrubs or hedges. Basically, the blades can either be one-sided or double-sided. The one-sided ones are a lot safer as they cut away from you. This means that they are a lot safer. The double-sided varieties need you to be extra alert as they work. Blade length is another important consideration when choosing a trimmer.
Longer is better and more efficient as it reaches further, making your task easier – and faster. Their only shortcoming is their weight. They are more cumbersome to handle and require extra care. An average length of 20 inches is not so bad for dealing with a hedge at your home. 24 inches can easily manage several plant types. However, if it exceeds this length, then be sure you can handle it – we are talking muscle strength here.
different types of trimmers have different maintenance needs. Among the three major categories, gas-powered seem to require a bit more maintenance. You will need to keep abreast of the amount of gas they have, the right mix of oil and gas, and that spark plugs are clean. For all types of trimmers, you will need to check the teeth and determine if they need sharpening. You will also check whether they need replacing.
Reviewing Some of the Best Hedge Trimmers
Tanaka TCH22EBP2 21cc 2-Cycle Gas Hedge Trimmer with 24-Inch Commercial Double-Sided Blades
- Tanaka 21.1cc commercial grade 2-cycle engine for maximum reliability and durability
- 5 position rear handle for maximum comfort and maneuverability
If you are looking for a heavy-duty trimmer that will handle commercial landscaping, then you will not be on wrong choosing this. Tanaka has a 21.1 cc engine powerful enough to start, and finish a long task – this is what you expect from a reliable gas hedge trimmer. It has a forward-facing exhaust to ensure a clean job.
- The hedge trimmer has a powerful and reliable 21.1 CC engine to handle a tough task
- Its exhaust pipe is forward-facing to ensure you don’t end up with burnt hedges
- 24 inches long blade for an extended reach
- Employs an easy pull-start technology
- Starting the engine may be an uphill task
- This is not a trimmer for people not strong enough
Echo HC-152 Gas Powered Hedge Trimmer
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
This is another quality hedge trimmer that comes with a powerful 21.1 CC engine. It has an efficient filtration system that extends the life of the engine. And for comfort and excellent control, the machine comes with a long handle – necessary for such a powerful device. There is also a large front handle for enhanced control of the machine.
- A powerful 21.1 CC engine that can handle challenging tasks
- Has a long handle for excellent handling
- Laser-cut teeth for a long-lasting sharpness
- A large front handle for better control
- May require much maintenance
- Starting it is not a breeze
Poulan Pro PP2822 22-Inch 28cc 2 Cycle Gas Powered Dual Sided Hedge Trimmer
- 28cc engine
- 22-inch cutting length
At 28cc, this hedge trimmer has one of the most potent engines which can handle any kind of bushes or hedge – such a heavyweight machine you may enjoy using. Its blade is 22 inches – adequate for most tasks. The trimmer comes with a swivel-position handle that enables you to change position easily and for a comfortable and secure grip.
- An efficient heavyweight engine that can handle any type of vegetation
- A decent blade length of 22 inches that doesn’t make the machine too heavy to use
- Has an ergonomic swivel-position handle for easier and more comfortable handling of the machine
- Has double-sided blades for added efficiency and rapid working
- Starting may be a real struggle
- The double-sided blades need handling with care
Husqvarna 122HD60 21.7cc Gas 23.7-in Dual Action Hedge Trimmer 9665324-02
- The Smart Start engine and starter have been designed so the machine starts quickly with minimum effort
- A carburetor air purge system removes air from the carburetor and fuel system for easy starting
Husqvarna is a household name when it comes to anything farm equipment, and tools and this 21.7cc machine is a testament to that. The trimmer comes with a smart start engine that makes it easier for you to jump in right away to your task for the day – you can really waste a significant amount of time trying to start a machine that won’t budge.
The carburetor air purge system is the one responsible for the smooth start system – thankfully! And to make it easier for you to reach the topmost plants, the trimmer has an adjustable rear handle – this makes it quite convenient.
- Has an easy start engine making it easier for you to start it
- An adjustable rear handle for easy reach of the topmost branches
- Has an anti-vibration system making your grip comfortable
- Does not require any assembly
- May not demonstrate good performance
Husqvarna 966532302 Double-Sided Homeowner Hedge Trimmer
- Husqvarna 18 in. gas hedge trimmer cuts twigs and shrubs up to 4/5 in. thick
- 21. 7cc, 2-cycle engine delivers the power you need to get the job done fast
This machine from Husqvarna is specially designed for home use – its features pretty much indicate that. For starters, this hedge trimmer is lightweight and will not require a lot from you in terms of strength – no need to call the local gardener. It has low noise and may not prove interruptive to the neighbors – especially those that have decided to take a long overdue rest in bed for the weekend.
- A lightweight trimmer that makes it easy to use
- Low noise and so will not disturb other people
- Starting it is not too much of a hassle – a good thing and prevents frustration
- Its stop switch resets to a position that will make it easier to start it the next time
- Has an efficient anti-vibration system making it comfortable for you
- Its performance may not be among the best
Every homeowner and commercial landscaper needs the best gas hedge trimmer to come up with the best designs on hedges. A good trimmer is comfortable to use, durable, and demonstrates a significant amount of power to handle any task that you throw at it – yes, hedge tasks and anything else involving vegetation cutting and designing. All the above are decent choices and will prove reliable to have around.
However, we will have to go with Tanaka TCH22EBP2 21cc 2-Cycle Gas Hedge Trimmer. This machine has a powerful engine that may handle any type of vegetation you throw at it. The trimmer also boasts a 24-inch blade that makes your task quicker and easier. It incorporates an easy-pull technology for an easier start so you can jump right into your work for the day without wasting time.